Hi, I’m Jed. A
39 40 41-year-old married family man and father of twin boys. We live in Madison, Wisconsin of the United States and are always looking for ways to buck the trend. Thanks for visiting my site.
In the simplest of terms, my passion has been lit and my hair is on fire with our march to financial independence. The flame has always been there, smoldering, but it definitely has kicked into another level of alarm recently. It consumes my thoughts more than I care to admit and I’m hoping this blog provides some sort of outlet.“No! Not another personal finance blog!”
I know, I know. The last thing this world needs is another person rambling on about the top 13 ways to cut starch expenses from your grocery bill. I’m not interested in discussing those things either.
I believe there is a fundamental lack of financial smarts in the developed world. This, coupled with extreme consumerism and an overriding sense of entitlement (the “I deserve it now” attitude) could really put our country and planet as a whole in a really tough spot. And I’m not just speaking economically, but environmentally as well.
With that said, I’m encouraged by this seemingly large, albeit hidden, population of folks that “get it” and are bucking the trend in their own ways. Folks that live below their means, generally aren’t wasteful, and appreciate life’s experiences over stuff.
While we are a work in progress, these are the principles that our family values and tends to abide by. We have been able to amass a sizable nest egg using these guidelines and will be financially unchained to do whatever we want decades before traditional retirees.
Below are the reasons I’ve started documenting this journey:
- Accountability – reason número uno is that I want to be able to track progress toward The Goal.
- Technical Know-How – attempt to learn a little bit about blogging, the technologies involved, and come to appreciate the connectivity of the wide world of the web and the opportunity that it can provide.
- Historical Log – provide a journal of sorts that our kids can revisit when they are older and better understand how mom and dad were able to spend inordinate amounts of time with them while growing up.
And in the rare event someone outside of my wife is perusing this blog, I hope this may enable:
- Networking – meet like-minded friends that have similar goals.
- Inspiration – provide a little inspiration to you who, like us, are continuing on your journey to financial freedom.
I’m not big on giving advice so you won’t find a lot of that here. I learn by seeing and following examples that I determine would be best for me and our family. It is in this vein that I’ll share what has worked for us and what hasn’t and let you determine what you take away.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with comments or questions. I’d love to hear from you.