“I’m 99% sure that bump under your tongue is nothing. It’s that 1% that makes me nervous. Would you like me to refer you to a specialist to get it checked out?”
This is the conversation I was having with my dentist about a month ago. He knew of our upcoming move to Spain and we both decided it was better to be safe (and of clear mind) than sorry.
I’m pretty sure I jinxed myself in my last post when I said “All major hurdles have been cleared at this point.” I don’t think I could have been more wrong.
The past month has been one of the most stressful of this entire planning phase. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- The renters that were thisclose to signing a lease for our house flaked out. And it happened a second time just last week. Why would folks pay to go through the application process, be approved, and then go AWOL when it comes time to sign the lease?
- Putting on a garage sale. Bless my wife who basically did this on her own while I spent some time out-of-town helping with some family stuff. In the end, it paid a paltry hourly rate when you factor in the time spent organizing, tagging, and manning the sale. But it did rid us of a bunch of clutter and brought in several hundred dollars to boot.
- Finding movers and available storage space in a college town right when school ends can be a real chore. We thought we were resigned to moving our stuff across state lines about 55 miles away. Fortunately my wife stumbled across a relatively unknown (and unadvertised) new storage facility that just opened last fall on the other side of town. Likewise, the fine fellas over at Two Men and a Truck had availability mid-week toward the end of June.
- I had to delay my resignation from work about one week while waiting for the results of the oral cancer scare. This, of course, is a small price to pay but my wife and I both agreed that it would had been careless to resign prior to receiving the results of the biopsy, even if all doctors agreed that there was a very slim chance it would had been bad news.
- Last Friday I put in my 2-week resignation with my manager. My last day of work will be Friday, June 6. On one hand, I’ve been counting down the days to be finished. On the other, I’ve had a kind of unnerving feeling announcing it at a place I’ve worked for the last 9 years. It won’t be general knowledge across the company until sometime tomorrow. I’m eager and somewhat nervous of the reactions that my coworkers will have when I tell them of our plans.
Unfortunately this list hasn’t changed much since my last update.
- Find Renters – I’m not going call this one until we have a signed lease in hand.
- School Enrollment (first week in June) – some more paperwork that solidifies a spot for our boys in the local public school
- Sell car (after June 6 = last day of work)
- Move out (June 24) – We’ll continue to purge and pack up our house. We will store most of our furniture and those things that we envision needing when we return in 1-2 years time.
- Take off (June 30) – We’ll drive to my parent’s place that is near our departure airport, leave our remaining car with them and spend a week or so with all the grandkids on my side hanging out with their grandparents.
Now that I’ve formally resigned, I figure it’s safe to come out of anonymity. (Not that anyone from work would have stumbled across my blog, but I didn’t want to risk it).
My real name is Jed and this is a recent picture of me. No more of this Buck business. I know some of you thought Buck was my real name and that maybe I was originally from the South. I guess with a name like ‘Jed’, the same could be true. Truth is, I’ve never lived further south than Chicago!